Our church building at 393 St George Street in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia dates from 1911.
Our congregation, however, dates back to 1798 when the first Methodist church in Annapolis Royal was built on the corner of Church and St. Anthony Streets. It was built as a result of the visits of the Rev. William Black, whom the Rev. John Wesley had appointed as a missioner to Nova Scotia.
In 1846, there was a need for a new Methodist church. A second building was erected by the waterfront on Lower St George Street and was later moved to a different location at 401 St George Street next to the site of the present church.
In 1911, a third Methodist church was built, which is our current red brick building. Upon completion, the old church next door was torn down and a new home for the minister was built on the site. This former manse is now a private home.
The Methodist congregation united with St Andrew's Presbyterian Church in 1919, predating the official formation of the United Church of Canada by six years. St Andrew's was then sold and is now owned and occupied by the Annapolis Royal Arts Council.
Churches in Victoria Beach, Port Wade, Port Royal, Parker's Cove, Granville Ferry, and Perotte all became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925.
All these churches are now closed and the former congregations worship at St George and St Andrew United Church. Occasional services are held in Perotte.